Traffic – is that the right way to describe people? – to this blog arrives via a plethora of web searches. Handily, WordPress lists these terms. Many are questions: some are perfectly logical, others make me question the sanity of the human race. However, according to the web search questions, people do not want much. Generally, they care about three things.
– How hard things are.
– Ben Nevis.
– What Alan Hinkes is up to.
Here are my Christmas top-20 (and some helpful answers). The hard stuff first –
1. Is it hard to row the English Channel solo? Probably, yes.
2. How hard is the Inaccessible Pinnacle? It’s tricky, rather than hard. Take a climber with you.
3. What is the hardest Corbett to climb? I really don’t know. For the hardest Munro, see above.
4. How hard is the Beachy Head Marathon? Not as hard as the Ben Nevis Race.
5. How hard is the Ben Nevis Race. Harder than the Beachy Head Marathon.
6. Is the Highland Cross harder than a marathon? If it’s the Beachy Head Marathon, yes.
7. What is the weather like on Ben Nevis in September? Wind, rain, fog, sleet, snow, mist, and probably all at the same time.
8. Which Munro should I climb in preparation for walking Ben Nevis? Why are people obsessed with this mountain?
On to the information seekers-
9. How do I prepare for cycling Mont Ventoux? Cycle. Lots.
10. Where is there a half-marathon tomorrow in UK? Tomorrow? Nowhere.
11. When are midges worst on Rum? All summer long. But don’t let it put you off, though.
12. How high is Worcestershire Beacon? 425 metres.
13. Is Catbells on the Bob Graham Round? No – unless you’ve had a navigational catastrophe.
14. What speed do you need to run for a Bob Graham Round under 24 hours? Three miles per hour-ish. Sounds slow, doesn’t it?
15. Why is Twmpa called Lord Hereford’s Knob? I’m still not sure. Something to do with Lord Hereford? And his…
Now for the ridiculous –
16. What’s going on in the Cotswolds? You’re in the wrong place.
17. How long will it take for my blood blister to go away? Umm…
And the utterly ridiculous, the bang-your-head-against-a-table level of ridiculousness.
18. Is Marble Arch the same as the Arc de Triomphe. NO!
19. What country is the south of England? Country?
And one that only Alan Hinkes can answer –
20. What is Alan Hinkes up to at the moment?
Ben Nevis: very hard